2020 will be an unforgettable year despite how hard you want to erase it from your memory. Here is my list of the best and worst of 2020.
Worst of 2020
- COVID-19 pandemic. It has been my first, and I hope my last. This pandemic resulted in lost lives, lost jobs, lost businesses, loss of travel, and loss of connection.
- Being isolated.
- Feeling overwhelmed with the grief of our former lives and constantly learning how to do routine activities such as grocery shopping in a new way.
- You can add to this list.
Best of 2020
- Virtual work is possible. Flexible work is possible. You can work from anywhere with an Internet connection.
- We have a full appreciation of teachers, daycare workers, cashiers, delivery service people, scientists, health care professionals, and baristas.
- Mental health is being more publicly discussed and more people are getting help.
- The management of our elderly in nursing homes will be overhauled for better care.
- Open dialogue about systemic racial discrimination.
- We have realized the great importance of in person connections.
As we ring in the new year, consider this TED talk by Priya Parker on how to make transformative, meaningful connections. The 3 steps are:
- Embrace a specific disputable purpose.
- Cause a good controversy.
- Create a temporary alternative world with pop-up rules.
Happy New Year and let’s make an abundance of memorable gatherings.